This article will guide you through the steps of connecting your QuickBooks Online account with Dubsado and configuring the integration.
Before you start:
- You'll need a QuickBooks Online account. Small Business, Essentials, Simple Start, and Plus plans are all supported.
- QuickBooks Self Employed and the desktop version of QuickBooks are NOT supported.
- If you collect sales tax, you must already have sales tax set up in QuickBooks. This is to ensure tax codes can be imported.
- Log out of your QuickBooks account.
Click on a topic to jump to that section!
Have a supported QuickBooks Online account? Here's how to connect with Dubsado:
- Click on the gear icon in the top navigation bar to access your Settings.
- Go to the Integrations tab.
- Click Connect under QuickBooks.
- In the upper right corner, click Connect to QuickBooks.
- Log in to your QuickBooks account when prompted.
- Click Connect on the next screen.
- If you have multiple companies in your QuickBooks account, select the one you would like to connect and click Next.
After completing the connection process, you'll be redirected back to the QuickBooks integration page in Dubsado. There are a few more settings you'll need to configure before the integration is set up and ready to go.
Here are some key things to know about how Dubsado invoices sync with QuickBooks:
- Invoices are automatically synced with QuickBooks after the client makes a payment, not immediately after the invoice is created.
- QuickBooks does not sync invoices or transactions back over to Dubsado.
- Invoices and payments created before you connected QuickBooks will not sync automatically. You will be able to sync them manually.
- QuickBooks does not become your payment processor. Clients will still pay invoices in Dubsado using the payment processor you connected (Stripe, Square, or PayPal).
There are three options for configuring automatic syncing with Quickbooks:
Option #1 - Automatically Sync Invoices AND Payments
This option is for you if... you do NOT already have your payment processor synced with QuickBooks directly. You would like payments received through Dubsado invoices to be added as transactions in QuickBooks.
Turn both automatic sync settings ON if you would like to sync both invoices and payments:
Option #2 - Automatically Sync Invoices Only
This option is for you if... you already have your payment processor synced with QuickBooks. You do not want to see duplicate transactions added by Dubsado when an invoice syncs.
Turn the setting to sync invoices ON, and the setting to sync payments OFF to sync invoices only:
Option #3 - Manually Sync Invoices
This option is for you if... you want full manual control over syncing individual invoices and payments with QuickBooks. With this option, you will need to manually sync each invoice and payment.
Turn both automatic sync settings OFF to prevent automatic invoice syncing.
Importing QuickBooks Tax Codes
Importing tax codes from QuickBooks will create new taxes in Dubsado that you can apply to your packages and invoices. You must use those taxes in order for invoices to sync.
You must import tax codes if:
- You have a US-based QuickBooks account and charge sales tax.
- You have a non-US QuickBooks account (whether you collect tax or not).
⚠️ Heads up! Set up your sales tax in QuickBooks first. Check out this article from QuickBooks on how to set up your sales tax.
To import your tax codes:
- Click in the drop down box.
- Click on all tax codes that apply to your business.
When finished, you should see the imported tax codes listed in this section:
After importing tax codes, go to Reporting >> Chart of Accounts to see the new tax items created in Dubsado. The tax items created by QuickBooks will need to be used on your packages going forward. Existing invoices you'd like to sync will need to be updated as well.
Please review the article below for help with making the necessary updates to your packages and invoices!
Go to Reporting >> Invoices to manage all of the invoices in your brand and see their current status with QuickBooks.
You can sync an invoice and its payments from the action menu (the three dots icon).
If you have multiple invoices you'd like to sync at one time, use the bulk actions menu. Select all the invoices you'd like to sync using the checkboxes, then select an option from the bulk action menu at the top.
If you synced an invoice, but didn't sync the payments, you can sync a payment manually by clicking Sync next to that payment.
For more information on the QuickBooks statuses, check out the article below!
If I delete an invoice or payment in Dubsado, will it delete the record in QuickBooks?
No, once an invoice and/or payment is sent over to QuickBooks, deleting the record in Dubsado will not remove the record in your QuickBooks account.
What happens if my Dubsado client already exists in QuickBooks as a customer?
Dubsado will try to match clients to QuickBooks customers using their email address. If no match is found, or multiple matches are found, a new customer will be created.
Will the income categories for each line item match up with categories in QuickBooks?
No. The Dubsado income category will be noted in the description of the line item when the invoice is synced. You will need to manually set categories in QuickBooks.
I have multiple brands in Dubsado and multiple companies in QuickBooks. Can I connect a different QuickBooks company to each Dubsado brand?
Yes! The integration with Dubsado is set up on a per-brand basis. If you have multiple companies set up in QuickBooks, you'll be asked to specify which company you'd like to connect with as you are setting up the integration.
Can I connect the same QuickBooks account to multiple brands/accounts in Dubsado?
No. Once you connect a QuickBooks account to a brand in Dubsado, you cannot connect that same QuickBooks account to another Dubsado brand. The exception is if you have multiple businesses in QuickBooks (similar to having multiple brands in Dubsado), see above.
I have QuickBooks Self-Employed or the desktop version of QuickBooks. Why are those versions not supported?
Unfortunately, the Self-Employed and desktop versions of QuickBooks do not allow for integrations, so we are unable to support a connection with them.