If you have an email account that is not accessed through Google, this article will walk you through the steps to connect your email to Dubsado.
👋 Here's a tip... if you'd like to learn more about how emails work in Dubsado, we recommend checking out this article first.
In this article
Step 1: Configure SMTP for outgoing emails
The first step is to connect to the outgoing server for your email account. This is called the SMTP server, and it might sound familiar if you've ever set up your email in a mail app on your computer.
👋 Here's a tip... before you start, it will help to know who your email provider is. This is the company where you set up your email account. It might be a big name like Outlook, iCloud, or Yahoo!, or it might be your web host if you set up a custom email with your domain name.
- Go to Settings (the gear icon) >> Emails.
- Click Use SMTP.
- In the dropdown, select your email provider. If your provider is not listed, select "Other."
- Fill in the fields that appear. If you selected a specific provider, all you need is the email address and password.
- If you selected "Other," fill in the outgoing server information from your email provider.
- Click Test to verify the connection.
👋 Here's a tip... to find the outgoing server information for your email provider, reach out to their customer support or try a web search for your email provider's name + "SMTP settings."
- If you get an error for entering the wrong password, but you're sure you entered the correct information, your provider might require an app-specific password. iCloud and Microsoft commonly require this.
- Sometimes email providers don't keep their documentation updated on the correct SMTP settings to use. This article walks through some alternative combinations to try.
- If you're still having trouble, we're happy to help! Just send us a chat or email.
👋 Here's a tip... if you have a custom domain email address, we strongly recommend adding Dubsado to your SPF records to prevent your emails from going to spam.
Step 2: Forwarding settings for incoming emails
Once you have your email account connected for outgoing emails, there's one more step to bring client replies into Dubsado.
- Copy the Brand Email address shown.
- Locate the forwarding settings for your email provider.
- Paste the brand email address into the forwarding address of your email provider.
- If you see one, turn on the option to keep copies of emails in your regular inbox.
- Most providers do NOT require a Forwarding Verification Code, but you can generate one if needed.
- Save your forwarding settings.
👋 Here's a tip... to find the forwarding settings for your email, reach out to your email provider or search their documentation for "forwarding settings."
👋 Here's a tip... if you would like to test email forwarding, set up a test project with a client that has a different email than the one you connected to Dubsado. This could be another email address you have or the email of a friend helping you test! Send an email out through the project and then have the "client" reply. Allow a few minutes to see emails arrive in Dubsado.
⚠️ Heads up! Yahoo! prevents emails from being forwarded back into Dubsado. It works for outgoing emails only.