This checklist will lead you through the best way to set up your Dubsado account if you want to take full advantage of all our features. Every business is different, so you may not need to complete every step!
Step 1: Getting Started
Goal: Get all your necessary account settings in place.
- Branding - add your logo, brand color, and contact info
- International Settings - ensure these are correct
- Receive Money - connect your payment processor so clients can pay you on invoices
- Emails - connect your email account so any outgoing emails from Dubsado come from your email address and not Dubsado’s
- Calendar Settings (under CALENDAR in the main menu) - connect an external calendar to import and export appointments and events
- Dashboard - choose a color scheme in the settings and set a financial goal on your Dubsado Dashboard if you wish
- Portal - customize the branding for your client portals
- Multi-Users (Paid Plan Only) - if you have business team members who will need to use Dubsado with you, you can invite them here
- Integrations - you can set up integration with Zapier, Cloudspot, and Quickbooks Online here
- Domain Names - white label Dubsado for your clients by connecting your custom domain name
- General Settings - advanced date and appointment conflict settings
Step 2: Content & Client Communication
Goal: Have your business process written out and all necessary content within that process created.
- Write Out Your Business Process / Flow - include every step from the moment a new lead comes in until the job is completed (use Word Docs, Sticky Notes, Pen & Paper, etc.)
- Circle every piece of content that needs to go out to the client - any contracts, forms, attachments, emails, etc.
- Decide how new clients will be entered into Dubsado. Will you enter them manually? Will they fill out a contact form (this would be a Dubsado lead capture) on your website?
The Starting Point
- Lead Capture - bring new clients into Dubsado with this embeddable contact form. Building your lead capture early on will help give you direction for setting up everything your client will interact with in your account.
- Chart of Accounts (Income & Expense Categories) - categorize your income and set up taxes
- Packages - anything in your business with a price point (includes a la carte items & add-ons)
- Custom Mapped Fields - in your Brand Settings, allows you to capture custom data on forms
- Contracts - legally binding agreements for your clients to sign
- Sub-Agreements - also legally binding, great for releases and any documents besides the contract that requires a signature
- Questionnaires - collect or share information with your clients
- Proposals - allow your clients to build their own invoices by selecting packages and attach a contract and invoice for a streamlined experience or create a custom quote
Remember we input up to 10 forms for you for free! Just send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Any email you’ve sent to more than three clients in the past
- Thank You, Welcome, Payment Reminders, Appointment Reminders & Confirmations, Follow-Ups, Review/Survey Requests, Available/Not Available
- Every form should have a canned email to accompany it
- Edit the system default emails if you’d like under Edit Templates
- Add your email signature
Payment Schedules - any payment breakdowns you offer
Scheduler Templates - your availability for different types of appointments you offer
STEP 3: Manual Testing
Goal: Run through your process manually on a test project so that you can catch any errors or potential challenges before automating. You'll also get comfortable working inside of projects and experience everything as a client!
Tips for Manual Testing
- Walk through your entire process outline step by step as both the business owner and the client.
- If you are still on a trial, fill out your lead capture form with the same email address when running multiple tests so that you do not use up your sample clients. Dubsado will recognize the existing client and not create a new one.
- Whenever you are interacting with a Dubsado form "as a client," open the form in an incognito/private browser window so that Dubsado does not recognize you as the business owner.
- No need to process a payment for real - payments can be manually applied to simulate a client making a payment.
- Carefully check over your forms and emails for typos or missing information.
- Write down any issues you run into. Our customer success and education teams are here to help!
STEP 4: Workflows / Automation
Goal: Combine the written process and the created content to develop a structured, streamlined process so you’re ready for any client who comes your way!
Build Your Workflow
- Build a draft of your workflow with the basic steps to get the structure in place. Don’t worry about perfection just yet!
- Create statuses based on WHERE the client is at in your process
- Examples: Consultation Booked, Proposal Sent, Contract Sent, Deposit Paid, etc.
- Here is a great video on project statuses and tags
- Create tags based on what TYPE of clients/projects you have
- Examples: Portrait, Newborn, Wedding, Headshots, Logo Design, Website, etc.
Revise Your Workflow
- Add your Project Statuses and Tags into your Workflow using “Change Project Status” and “Add Tag” actions
- Double check your triggers for specificity
- Add additional approvals/todo reminders where needed
Test Your Workflow on a Sample Project
Repeat for Additional Processes/Workflows - make further revisions if needed
Apply your finished Workflow(s) to your Lead Capture Form - now you’re ready to embed the form!
Still need some help? Email or chat us. We are here to help!